The Genealogy Research of Lynne Roberts
This website includes both of my genealogical lines — paternal, or Roberts and Hammond, and maternal, or Norwood and Paddock. I have produced them here in both the pedigree format including family group sheets, and as narratives starting with the first immigrant ancestor of the line, or in the case of Norwood, the first Norwood who established his family in Bermuda. Some of this research was begun by members of my family who were very proud of their early American ancestry and their pioneer families. Over the past few years I have attempted to organize and source their work and put it on the computer, as well as research the rest. You may find early work done by me that is improperly entered, sourced, or incorrectly included. Over time I have become more proficient, and like most researchers, have come to appreciate the value of original documents where available and the usefulness of including detailed and accurate sources and citations. But the early efforts are still there to be corrected.
I had never been successful locating the origins of Morris Roberts — my earliest known paternal ancestor. However, DNA has finally come to our rescue and now it appears that Morris Roberts was the son of John Alexander Roberts. Morris spent all of his adult life in Louisa Co, VA, whereas his father and the rest of his family settled in the Rockfish area of Albemarle County, VA about 1746. Through county boundary changes, their property became part of Amherst County, and then Nelson County. This DNA match (111 markers) was made with a descendant of one of my ancestors, Schuyler Harris Roberts, who migrated from Amherst Co to Shelby Co, TN, and one of his slaves, Mahala. Mahala's descendants have kept her memory and the family story alive. Now I am trying to document this family to best of my ability. The records can be found in the John Alexander Roberts files; my original family line from Morris Roberts is so identified. This is a work in progress, and I hope that researchers with additional information will contact me so that we can make it available to all members of the family.
Please note: I have added a separate file for the "Descendants of Schuyler Harris Roberts" in order to include all three of his families, including the descendants of his two wives and the children he produced with a slave, Mahala. Restrictions in the software prevent me from presenting this data with equal detail in the other descendant files.
I acknowledge the generous assistance of many other researchers who have helped to make my work possible. However, I alone am responsible for everything published on these pages, including all the errors and omissions. I hope that visitors who identify the shortcomings or who have more to share will contact me.
Pedigree Lines / Family Group Sheets
Please select the database that includes your surname and then select the specific names in the surname list or name index that follows, or simply follow the pedigree to your desired ancestor.
- Morris Roberts — Hammond, Dorsey, Worthington, Porter, Gillum, Fagg, Moorman, Martin — (VA, MD, MO, CA)
- John Alexander Roberts — (VA, TN)
- Hammond — Roberts, Ray, McKee, Tittle, Marble — (MA, RI, PA, MO, CA)
- Dorsey — Roberts, Hammond, Worthington, Beale, Tolley, Warfield, Howard — (MD, MO, CA)
- Norwood — Paddock, Crowell, Floyd, Tallmadge, Prince, Ogilvie — (MA, NV, CA)
- Paddock — Norwood, Hall, Crowell, Howes, Sears, White — (MA, CA)
- Pastrana — Nieves, Vilar — (Puerto Rico)
- Rivera — Guzman — (Puerto Rico)
Please select the database that contains the surname you're searching for and select the name you want in the surname list or name index provided.
- Hammond Descendants — Descendants of William Hammond of London — Hammond, Roberts, Ray, McKee, Tittle, Marble, Gorham — (MA, RI, CA)
- Morris Roberts Descendants — Descendants of Morris Roberts — Roberts, Hammond, Gillum, Fagg, Porter — (VA, MO, CA)
- John Alexander Roberts Descendants — (VA, TN)
- Schuyler Harris Roberts Descendants — (VA, TN)
- Dorsey Descendants — Descendants of Edward Dorsey (d'Arcy) — Dorsey, Worthington, Brown, Ewing, Porter, Roberts — (MA, RI, KY, MO, CA)
- Norwood Descendants — Descendants of Richard Norwood — Norwood, van der Clyf, Ogilvie, Prince, Sickles, Campbell, Paddock — (Bermuda, NY, NJ, NV, OH, IN, WI, CA)
After assembling pictures of many ancestors that don't fit neatly into the genealogy, I decided to create different scrapbooks to share them. In this section you'll several scrapbooks. Go the Scrapbooks page to see what's available.
"The Two Caleb Dorseys" is an article originally written for the Tuolumne County Historical Society publication, Chispa, after a year's research in Tuolumne, San Joaquin and Stanislaus Counties. The initial purpose of writing this was to correct some incomplete and inaccurate research conducted earlier by various researchers. The primary research problem was recognizing that there was not one Caleb Dorsey in California in the 1860's, 1870's and 1880's, but two. Once I discovered that, it became a challenge to discover the facts of their separate but intersecting lives. They were both fascinating colorful men, representative of many people who came to California during that time period hoping to restart and reinvent their lives.
One of the Caleb Dorseys was a Colonel during the Civil War. After the war he became a rancher in California. Learn more about both of the Caleb Dorseys in the following articles:
Contact me for questions, corrections and contributions to this research.